Wednesday 13 July 2011

Handmade present for Nanna


For my mother's birthday this week my sisters and I are taking her to see Wicked at The Burswood Theatre (can't wait) but the boys really wanted to give her a present as well. Master 4 decided he wanted to make her a cake (he reads my cake making book at least once a week and has already decided on his birthday cakes for the next five years!).


I know my Mum isn't the biggest cake eater but I remember from my childhood that she always enjoyed a friends walnut cake that was cooked in a tin can. Considering that I didn't have her friends recipe, nor any walnuts for that matter, I decided the kids could make banana bread instead. I haven't bought banana's for months due to the huge price increase after cyclone Yasi but after scrounging through the freezer I found one that I had previously frozen for the kids. I pulled it out to defrost and set about giving some empty cans from the previous nights dinner a thorough cleaning before calling the boys over to measure, pour and stir.


Once they were cooked and cooled I let Master 3 choose some cardstock from my scrapbooking stash (great choice he made too) and we measured, cut and glued it to the cans to dress them up, added a tag and found a gift bag that they fit perfectly in. Master 4 made her a beautiful card (card making being his second favourite activity next to reading my cake book) and "TA DA" - A beautiful homemade gift for a fantastic Nanna!

No comments:

Post a Comment