Sunday 17 July 2011

Our Exciting New Ever Evolving Dinosaur Garden

Last Sunday was a very rainy day and when I see rain I always think two things 'ooh, my garden will be happy' and 'it's a good time for planting'

In our house, gardening is all about growing food. Out the front we have a little cottage garden with herbs, broccolli, salad greens and a few pretty flowers but out the back, where the children like to play, DH won't even let me have a daisy. "No, it's all got to be food" he says. So on this rainy day, little D and I went on an excursion to the nursery. We had to get a few herbs for some hanging baskets I have up and we thought we'd have a look around at some other plants we don't normally get to look at when 'Mr Only Food' is around.

I have this one little area down the side of the house, near my washing line (where DH doesn't go much) with a few succulents I've been cultivating and spreading. Whenever I'm out doing the washing I always have to tell the boys "Get out of Mamma's garden, you can dig in the sandpit if you want to play with sand" but they'd rather be playing by my side and honestly, I'd rather be keeping an eye on them.

Walking around the nursery we saw a beautiful fern and it so reminded me of a dinosaur playscape I'd recently seen that I said to D "Shall we get this and a few other things and make a dinosaur garden?" The answer of course was a definitive YES!



So with the fern and two other interesting plants in hand, off home we trotted to plant out Our Dinosaur Garden.



Once the plants were in we could add other points of interest like a bowl of water for the dinosaurs to drink from and this rock for them to climb up on and peruse their kingdom



D also wanted to add some cuttlefish and other 'treasures' he had collected a few weeks ago on a beach excursion he went on with DH, big brother L and their cousin Master 8. It made for a great hunting ground for our Allosaurus.



By Monday, Our Dinosaur Garden was already expanding to include some safari animals D and F dragged outside and of course what makes a Stegasaurus happier than bubbles(or a toddler for that matter). There is now a permanent position for our bubble mix in the dinosaur garden.



Yesterday, Nanny K took all the boys, including DH to AQUA and bought them all a treat, of their choice, from the gift shop. Little D's very well thought out decision for himself and little F was a little hatchling turtle each. Of course, they came right home, to pride of place, in Our New, Ever Evolving Dinosaur Garden.

Now when I'm out doing the washing, I'm tripping over little D instead of trying to get him to stay where I can see him. Little F is now happy to play with the animals instead of pulling out my plants and even "Mr Only Food' thinks Our Dinosaur Garden is GREAT. I think I may even have overheard him having a conversation with a Brachiasaurus!

No comments:

Post a Comment