Friday 1 July 2011

Why I bought a glue gun... And a few other things

I suppose it all started on Mother's day when my lovely family gifted me an android tablet computer. Before then I had never really looked at a blog and rarely used the computer other than to check my emails and have a quick glance at my facebook wall. Around this time, hubby and I had made the decision to become a TV free home and I started finding a few extra minutes here and there to browse the web.

WOW! This just sent me into a whole new world of creativity. The blogs I was visiting were all centered around play based learning and I was in home-made toy heaven. I was so inspired, I re-arranged our living room to include a desk, got rid of the now never watched TV and set about creating some inspiring playscapes for my boys. I was making do collecting materials and stitching them together, my first project was an Antarctic playscape with an igloo and an ocean made of foam offcuts from hubby's surfboard knee pads and some toy penguins and seals that I had picked up on the cheap at Big W. What I really wanted to create was some miniature dolls and animals out of found and recycled materials but how was I going to make sticks and rocks into anything worth playing with using a needle and thread and some PVA glue. That was it, I had to go and brave the toy sales and get to the shopping centre for a hot glue gun and of course I needed it today.

So off I went to find a cheap glue gun and maybe layby a few toys for Chrissy. It won't cost too much, I thought, so I got to the craft department and what a bargain, there on the shelf was a little plug in glue gun with three sticks of glue all ready to go at the bargain price
of $7. Now, I thought, while I'm here I'll just get some acrylic paints and some coloured paper, oh and I will definitely need those new paintbrushes. Then we went down to the toy section to check out some other bargains to add to our lay-by. A couple of storage shelves for the boys clothes, Little F needs a new walker as he's nearly on the move, Oh, I can't layby them, I'll get too much use out of them before Christmas, best pop them in the bottom of the pram for purchase today.

Next I turned the corner and found wooden toy heaven. Oh, Little D definitely
needs that wooden teaching clock and those wooden zoo animals on wheels are only $4 each, bargain. Okay, time to go lay-by out of the catalogue. $115 for Chrissy presents and I'm not allowed to pick them up till December, that's just as well or I'd probably do something silly like give them to the kids in July. OK, time to check out, this won't cost too much. Five minutes and $150 later I walked out of K Mart thinking next time I might just purchase my glue gun online and just pay the extra couple of dollars postage. But, you know $7 really is a bargain.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmmmm yeah bargain. Did I tell you I'm organizing a boys boat trip to the Abrolhos next May.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you know, it's all for the boys. I didn't really buy anything for me :-)

    ReplyDelete